Tuesday, August 15, 2006

City Girl in the Suburbs

gets her wallet stolen

at yoga.

Yes, I left my bag
in the dressing room.
Yes, I should know better.

I live fanatically by such rules as:
Always lock.
Leave nothing on car seats.
Leave nothing in the car at all
unless you can part with it.


I just thought it was okay.
It was YOGA.
In the suburbs.
C'mon.
Who is going to slip into your bag
like light through a crack
while you lay breathing on the floor
to carry off a wallet
stuffed with receipts and
teacher discount cards?

This is my profiling
of suburban yogis
counting this geography
of the world
as safe.

But we are all of this world.

Tomorrow
I'll put down my paint brush
to do penance
at the hands
of bureacracy
and count my losses
in the nearly finished sandwich punches
the Starbucks gift card
and wait patiently
for the shiny new credit cards
to slide through
the slot in my door.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

drats!
those suburbs. ya just can't trust 'em.
see? another reason to live in the city.

i am sorry, girl. jeez.

you can have my eddie's sandwich card. : )
and, i will gladly treat at donna's for coffee!
and of course, there is one world cafe for other treats!
hee!

11:13 PM  
Blogger deezee said...

that just sucks! it's hard not to feel contaminated when so violated...especially in a setting that supposedly espouses spiritual behavior and talks of community. so sorry for your bureaucratic hassles...

11:23 PM  
Blogger mareymercy said...

Wow. The irony. If you can't trust your yoga partners, who can you trust?

If you find them, kick 'em in their downward dog.

7:49 PM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

If I haven't said this before, you have SUCH a way with turning ordinary life into poetry! You are like the urban Mary Oliver. Seriously. Your language is descriptive, yet sparse. Just the right words. Great work!

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home