Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Poetry Thursday: Geographical Equation

The theme for Poetry Thursdayis to use mathematical language to create a poem...potentially in the form of a proof. I have suffered from severe math anxiety since the sixth grade which continued until I became an English major and could no long be bothered with anything mathematical. However, just these past few months, I've had to start teaching math (gasp!). Thankfully a professor from a local college is working with our staff and I keep saying, "Why didn't anyone show it to me this way?"

I may be starting a journey of learning to love math.

My poem this week is a pretty rough draft, but I've enjoyed playing around with math words. It's a prompt that came at a perfect time.


Geographical Equation

Let x equal a compass
spinning like a whirligig—
the faithfulness of north
always in your palm.

Let this be the point
that tethers you to the globe--
as your seesaw heart
creaks up and down.

You may zigzag the
latitude and longitude
always looking to
the next shoulder of land
or elbowed cove,
craters like the inside
of your knees

walking the circumference
of the world will only be
the beginning of infinity

the pebbles you gather
from every continent
to rest in your pocket

keeping your fingertip
on home.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get the sense that you are writing about your body. Is that correct?

I like the wandering sense of wonder in your words.

Rose

8:59 AM  
Blogger Regina said...

Oh my- this was wonderful! Like a map of your body, allowing us to explore everyt part! I love the last line- keeping your fingertip on home... we need that little life line, don't we?

2:16 PM  
Blogger twilightspider said...

Beautiful. Every turn of phrase, every transition - just lovely.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anyone who gets whirligig in a poem is definitely number one in my book!

nice poem.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I love the playfullness of the words in this and the physicality of the map/body. I really like how this poem moved from math - to map - to body.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

yes!
yes!
yes!
this is great!

maybe we should spend our snow day tomorrow (yeah, right) eating mac and cheese and talking about marilyn burns. : )

8:18 PM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

Wow! I love love love your words! This is so melodic. Pretty cool how you made math into a sweet melody. It just flows. Very nice!

PS: Glad I'm not the only teacher hoping for a snow day!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely poem, especially:

walking the circumference
of the world will only be
the beginning of infinity

3:41 AM  
Blogger fuquinay said...

The last line does it for me.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

This is wonderment in a few lines - beautifully explored and expressed.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You in reference to our earth, the globe: marvelous poem using the prompt w/ geographical mathematical terminology.
Especially liked:"You may zigzag the
latitude and longitude"
(This seems finished to me, not a draft.)

12:58 AM  
Blogger angela said...

beautiful! i love those last lines.
good luck with your math journey :)
(i always secretly loved math)

hope this comment reaches you once, and not as many tries as it did to log in....

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What creative imagery!

6:00 PM  
Blogger January said...

Great poem, EMC. I can see this one published.

Love this: "as your seesaw heart
creaks up and down."

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home