Monday, February 26, 2007

Turn Around Luck

Morning.

Teya throws up in the middle
of opening circle.
Nell knocks over her
pink cup full of water.
The phone keeps whining
for attention...
the normal daily attendance
but then explaining Tyra
has to leave early and
Teya will be back to class
her grandmother wanting her
to stay longer and then
Ms Emily?
Yes!
Pick up.
Yes?
The boot. They're putting the boot
on your car.

There have been times
when I've had parking tickets
scattered through my life unpaid
when this would not be wholly unexpected.
Today I could think of no ignored bills.

Someone comes to watch my class,
I run downstairs.

The social worker is trying to stall
the booters, but it's already on.
Why did you put the boot on? I ask
What should I do?
Parking tickets they mumble. Call that number
they point to the orange signage
tacked to my car.

Back upstairs I dial while my class reads.
Your call will be answered in 29 minutes
the line drones. I can't think of
29 minutes I'll have together in this day
to wait for answers.
I hang up.

Daya knocks over her water.
Teya goes to the bathroom
and throws up again.

Ms. Emily? the phone calls again.
Yes?
Can you pick up?
Yes.
They took it off. They came back and
it's gone.

The day sommersaulted
over a zigzag morning
into a green afternoon.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger deezee said...

how totally crazy!

12:36 AM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

i feel like i've lived this in some ways. you captured it.

stalling the booters. perfect.

10:41 AM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

Oh my gosh! I can only imagine what the interuptions did to the rest of your class. My students are elementary and younger, but if someone walks into my studio who doesn't belong there, it's bedlam. Pure bedlam.

I like how you wrote about this is poem form. And the last stanza is so nice.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every time I get here I am left breathless at your words.

I see Jen beat me to nominating you for a thinking blog award. Grumble.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!! This is fantastic...Just the other day I was walking through town as the parking authority was marking tires and I saw numerous tickets on cars - the patrol people were busy, and, of course, my thoughts wandered off to a daughter whose habits saturated my mail with unpaid tickets from the city in which she lived. It was so nice for me to be able to relive those wonderful memories as I read this beautiful piece of reprieve!

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chaos of the morning - phone ringing, kids throwing up etc. make comments of teaching being easy laughable! I loved this poem and I loved the happy ending.
imocm

7:50 PM  
Blogger  Ram Krishna Singh said...

Hi, Emily: I enjoyed reading some of your poems today. You write with sensibility. Very nice.
Mybe, you find my poems too interesting and appealing to you. May i invite you to visit my blog:
http://rksingh.blogspot.com
http://profrksingh.blogpsot.com
and share your view of my writing.
All the best
R K Singh

12:53 AM  
Blogger mareymercy said...

I am always trying to write down what a typical day of teaching is like so others will understand - I had to burst out laughing at the "29 minutes" bit. Yeah, right!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Mary J. said...

What a crazy day teaching! I can't imagine your car being booted while you were at work! Give teachers a break, eh? It almost makes me glad I don't have a phone in my room. Then again, sometimes I wish I could threaten the kids with calling their parents on the spot. Hee hee.

Lovely poem. I love its energy and clarity.

7:12 PM  
Blogger angela said...

fourth stanza from last i noticed i was holding my breath for you, so glad things turned around.

5:40 PM  
Blogger writerwoman said...

I liked the part that said

I can't think of 29 minutes...

It captured the rushing nature of your life on that day. Loved how you made the everyday craziness poetic.

12:49 PM  
Blogger writerwoman said...

Love the last stanza in this one!

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home