Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Kites on the Corner

I walked home from school yesterday to find
a small band of guys on the corner
right next to the sketchy shop
that opened not so long ago.

Oh no I thought, disheartened
The drug dealers have come down to our little corner?

I paused at my door, the suspicious neighbor
to see if I could figure out what was going on
or recognize any faces.

My mistake.

There was just a kite.
Everyone working to get it in the air.

Like a February miracle
dancing against the sky.

5 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

em...so good to hear your voice...what a lovely image...I hope you blog much so I can stay connected in my time away...love you

8:40 AM  
Blogger Jorge said...

Em, I'm surprised you noticed the "small band of guys on the corner." I thought you would have had your head in a book, enjoying the walk home????

8:06 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

nice glimpse into your world.
and very good to see you writing.

1:40 PM  
Blogger ...anna said...

oh em... you just made my heart gleam for baltimore. I feel like that... this entry... those words... are exactly what baltimore is in so many ways. As i cross this gigantic country of ours... i realize what a very special place in my heart baltimore holds. there is truly no place like it. Thanks for sharing a piece of it... so i too can share in kites on corners :)

2:13 AM  
Blogger hele said...

magical*

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home