Saturday, March 10, 2007

Green

One of the things that I love about teaching, is that you never know when you will stumble into a new adventure.
















We have a small greenhouse at the school that has never been used and last year I wrote a grant to get it up and running. I know next to nothing about growing and planting things. My thumb is not green and I've killed more plants than I can count. But that has not stopped me from taking on a project I perhaps should better leave to someone with more experience. After a big cleanup, we got to growing things. The sun is pouring in and we're watering every day, it was a relief to see sprouts on Tuesday morning. Then I ordered 1,000 worms off the internet so we can begin composting...something else I know nothing about.


















Green

we hold the seeds in our palms
hard brown specks

we can’t believe their potential
can’t believe this is the beginning
of life

that this knobby lint
will poke out
of the earth in green

could any other miracle
be this simple?

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

hee!
what an excellent post!

i am going to take my shorties out there on monday to show them what can happen when people work together...peacefully.

yay! worms! shelley will be so proud.

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud! I wish I was there to help you out! Don't worry, the garden ladies will help you, too! I'm so jealous of your 1000 worms. The girls will love them.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

4:28 AM  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

You are such a champ!
Aww those girls and the sprouts are soooo cute!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

what a gorgeous post. and what i would give to be a fly on your classroom wall...

you are growing way more than just the wee green things, friend.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Mary J. said...

How wonderful! I'm a teacher too and I think this is a great project you're taking on! The poem is good. I might take the question mark off at the end, but the idea is articulated well.

10:25 PM  
Blogger angela said...

i thought you were the girl with the composting trash cans?

i love that you got this up and going! what are you all growing?

8:14 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Angela: yes, I have a compost trash can in my backyard but have heard worms are good for school...and things break down faster. I'm hoping we can compost some cafeteria food. My class is VERY excited about the worms. They ask everyday if they have come yet. (they haven't)
So far, we're growing lettuce and squash. But I've requested seed catalogs so hopefully we'll be growing lots of things soon :)

10:23 PM  
Blogger Kimberley McGill said...

What you have done is so fantastic!! Your students are blessed to have you. I am in the process of figuring out what I can grow out on my apartment balcony - we face north :( - and got pamphlet on worm composting - I hope you update us!

2:07 AM  
Blogger Hel said...

You rock!

If you send me a mail at helena(dot)wagener(at)dariel(dot)co(dot)za I will ask Florian to help me put something together on permaculture and composting. He does rural food gardens and medicinal plant workshops so we should come up with something.

Just to make sure the earth worms have a nice spot to sleep their jet lag off.

2:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

***wonderful*** post.
I'm smiling at this terrific photo of your students, too.
Thx for sharing, Emily. :)

7:34 AM  
Blogger January said...

Look at those beautiful faces! And such a wonderful poem. It's one of my favorites by you.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're my favorite greener even if you haven't had luck with basil. Just wanted you to know that Mike Jordan isn't the only one who thinks what you are doing up at the greenhouse is cool. Tell the worms I said hi (and I want 1,000 individual greetings not a collective TM says hey).

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home