Monday, October 12, 2009

Poems to Melt Your Heart

That's what she titled her file
at the end of the day on the computer.
Writing a poem doesn't end the pain
she started.

This morning I got bombarded--

N: Miss Emily, I need some adoption papers.
Me: Adoption papers? For what?
N: For me. I'm putting myself up for adoption.
Me: Hmmm. I don't have any. But I can google it for you after school...see what I can do.

So it was that I found myself at the end of the day typing
adoption
adopt a 12 year old girl
12 year old girl adoption
into the google tool bar

Me: I'm not sure this is going to solve your problem.
N: Well, Matilda did it. She got adopted. She's smart and I'm smart. I don't know why I can't do the same thing.

Like a girl out of a story book
she turned to book heroines
to expand her opportunities.

She melts my heart.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a smart resourceful girl but how sad she has to use her smarts to find a new home. But at least she is finding some comfort in books. She does melt your heart! Thanks for sharing.
iocm

8:36 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I checked your blog thinking I would still find skirts....and there was this piece which brought tears to my eyes...oh em...I don't know how you do the work you do...Love you

9:05 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

i love N., too.
that sweet girl is going to be alright. she probably one of the smartest people around.

please give her a hug for me and tell her i miss her. xo

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home